The Watchic Lake Association was formed initially to take ownership of the dam. Over time the WLA mission expanded and it now works to improve, protect, and preserve the lake’s water quality and fragile ecosystem.
The WLA is an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, and your donations are tax deductible to the full amount allowed by law (check with your tax adviser). Your membership and annual dues ($35 per voting member, two per household) are critical to helping the WLA meet its mission. With a large and vibrant member community we can demonstrate our common interest in protecting the lake. And we can serve as your advocate in protecting and enhancing your Watchic Lake experience and improving property values.
Your membership dues, donations, and personal volunteering, allows the WLA to provide a myriad of services, including:
- Sample lake water on a semi-annual basis, and submit samples to the Maine Volunteer Monitoring Program for analysis.
- Report on lake quality on semi-annual basis and recommend any areas of improvement.
- Monitor the lake and educate users of the lake on how to best keep out invasive species such as Eurasian milfoil.
- Respond to ad hoc property owner concerns about water quality and work with whoever is needed to address the issue.
- Monitor water level, and adjust the dam as needed.
- Open and close the dam each fall and spring.
- Maintain the dam and ensure dam safety (for example rebuilding the dam in 2010).
- Work with the Town of Standish, the Maine DEP, property owners and others to address wider Watchic Lake watershed issues (for example managing a significant project to remediate runoff in the Paine Neighborhood).
- Act and speak with single voice in advocating for improvements to the lake and the watershed (for example in securing a number of DEP grants over the years).
To join now, please download our membership form. For those of you who were members last year, we thank you for your support.